The Case for Support is a powerful tool for anyone embarking on a major gift or capital campaign. Get the case right, and you will have donors lining up to be involved. Get it wrong, and you may struggle to attract the support you need.
On a practical level the case for support informs prospective contributors about your need for funds and acts as a visual resource or take-home. But it is on an emotional level where a case works its magic.
Supporters will give sacrificially of their time, talents, and funds – if they believe in the value and integrity of your vision. You need to excite them, stir their souls and compel them to act. But most importantly you need to articulate your dreams for the future in a way that inspires support and builds confidence in your capacity to deliver.
To help you craft a winning document, we have compiled a list of major Do’s and Don’ts when developing a case for support.
- Do involve prospective donors in the development and testing of the case. Involvement creates a sense of investment, increasing the likelihood of a significant donation.
- Do make the case visually appealing and easy to read, using images to enhance the story.
- Do treat your case like a shop window – putting only the most enticing and interesting things on display. If people like what they see, they will willingly walk through your door.
- Do make the prospects the hero of your story and show how their involvement will directly contribute to the achievement of your vision.
- Consider producing or adapting the case for other formats such as video, Powerpoint presentation and eBook.
- Don’t assume prospects will read the whole document – the images, graphics and highlighted text need to tell a story on their own.
- Don’t catastrophize – compel the prospect to act with logic and honest emotion.
- Don’t forget who your audience is and what will motivate or appeal to them.
- Don’t waste your prospects valuable time – get to the point quickly and dramatically.
- Don’t do it on the cheap – invest in the services of a graphic designer and printer to create an impressive, professional quality, document
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. OKP have a number of case writing experts on our team and would be happy to offer guidance or create a case for you.
For more information please call on 1300 721 799 or email firstname.lastname@example.org